Friday, July 13, 2012

Change your path, find your passion - step one

FORT WORTH, TX, March 16, 2010 - What does it take to change your path to one that will feed the passions within you? If you ask twenty people this question you’ll get twenty different answers. But I always find that the basics are a good place to start.
Before you can know what your passions are, it makes sense to know who you are first. I’m a wife, mother, sister, aunt, writer, friend, etc. But that isn’t the whole of me.
Some folks are Sicilian, English, or Swedish - but like the above they are parts of the whole.
Liberal or Conservative? Blonde or brunette? Classical or Rock ‘N” Roll?
City or country? Blue eyes or brown eyes? Rh negative or Rh positive?
Toe-MAY-toe or Toe-MAH-toe? Poe-TAY-toe? Poe-TAH-toe?
These are all pieces that are parts people - some inborn, some choices. And they all affect what we are made of and how we live.
But even more basic is what is deep, deep inside your being.
What fills your heart? What moves your soul? Does what you live reflect this?
Are you who you say you are? Or are you who others expect you to be?
Do you believe all that is told to you? Or do you take the time and make the effort to find out for yourself?
Can you stand on your own two feet or do you expect someone else to do it for you?
Are you willing to be completely honest with yourself? - which often includes the nasty taste of a swallowed pride. Do you realize that change cannot take place if honesty is not part of finding the truth for yourself?
The answers you come up with might surprise you.
“Actions speak louder than words.” In all my years I have never not found this to be true. We are taught to notice this in other people, why not ourselves?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome! Here is the first column I sent to my editor this morning. It should be posted today or tomorrow.
I want to state for the record that unless a comment is really ugly and uncalled for I will post them. I don't care if the opinion of someone else differs from my own. I am a firm believer in Freedom of Speech and that everyone has a right to their opinions and to express them.
I also believe we can learn from others no matter how different their life experience is from our own.